What I Read in 2015

by - Tuesday, January 05, 2016


The Crow Road - Iain Banks
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
Instructions for a Heatwave - Maggie O'Farrell
Human Remains - Elizabeth Haynes
Espedair Street - Iain Banks
Lanark - Alasdair Gray
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson
The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective, #1) - M. R. C. Kasasian
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) - Robert Galbraith
A Change of Climate - Hilary Mantel
The Establishment: And How They Get Away with it - Owen Jones
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) - Robert Galbraith
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Fire from Heaven (Alexander the Great, #1) - Mary Renault
The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson
A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marlon James
Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) - Robert Galbraith
In the Country of Last Things - Paul Auster

I think it looks quite impressive set out in a list. I mean, I'm nowhere near as prolific a reader as some I could mention *cough* Sophie *cough*, but I'm fairly pleased with my 23 books. I didn't set myself a target this year, but I think I'll aim for 30 in 2016, and I want to read a few more non-fiction titles this year as well.

The worst book I read in 2015 was definitely The Mangle Street Murders. I seem to remember that it was super cheap or even free to download the e-book, so I gave it a go. It was an unashamed copy of Sherlock Holmes, full of cliches and populated with 2D characters. I'll stick to Conan Doyle for my fix of Victorian crime fiction in future!

I can't pick a favourite, but I was delighted to have discovered Robert Galbraith (J. K. Rowling's nom de plume) - the Cormoran Strike books are really good fun. I didn't read much non-fiction, but Owen Jones' The Establishment was very thought-provoking (and anger-inducing!). He examines how politicians, media moguls and business figures at the top of the pyramid are all in each other's pockets, and how this affects social equality and generally leaves the rest of us at a disadvantage. Man Booker prize-winning A Brief History of Seven Killings and historical epic Fire From Heaven were also standout titles for me last year.

Please let me know your opinions on any of the above and if you have any recommendations for my 2016 reading list. Also add me on Goodreads, I need more people to follow!

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I LOVE the Cormoran Strike series. I was never really into crime mystery before I read them, but they are such great reads! There's definitely a few on your list that I've never heard of - can't wait to check them out :) Thanks for sharing.
    Laura | collectinglabels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so good aren't they! I hope she writes more in 2016!

      Delete

Thanks for reading ☮